Birdies for Charity®
Make your 2013 Birdies for Charity donation by clicking here.
Birdies for Charity® is a fundraising program designed to give participating organizations the opportunity to generate contributions through the Valero Texas Open. Birdies for Charity is a no-cost program that gives 100% of the funds raised back to the participating organization. Funds are generated by soliciting pledges from individuals and corporations.
Birdies for Charity is like a walk-a-thon, but instead of donating per mile, participants make a pledge for every birdie made at the Valero Texas Open. The 2012 Valero Texas Open had 2,022 birdies made, so a pledge of $0.01 yielded a donation of $20.22.
Donors also have the ability to make a one-time donation and flexibility to pay in advance or be billed after the tournament. Donations are accepted from anywhere around the world and are tax deductible.
If you are interested in participating, please complete the 2013 registration form. It’s not too late to get involved and start fundraising!
A “Birdie” Pledge
In golf, “par” is the normal expected score on any given hole. A “birdie” is one stroke under par for a hole, possibly derived from the term “It flew like a bird” to indicate a good shot. Your goal is to have donors and/or companies to pledge a penny or more for each birdie that will be made during the tournament week at the Valero Texas Open (birdies count Wednesday-Sunday).
The 2013 Pledge Period
October 12, 2012 – April 2, 2013
Recommended Pledge Requests
Individuals: $0.01+ (per birdie made)
Corporations: $0.50+ (per birdie made)
Example: In 2012 2,022 birdies were made.
1 cent = $20.22
2 cents = $40.44
3 cents = $60.06
Recommended Donation Requests
By allowing the individual to choose what works best for them, there is no reason for the individual not to give – you are giving them options and lots of opportunities.
Contributors can donate using the pledge form or online at: www.valerotexasopen.org. Donors have the option to pay by cash, check, credit card or the convenience to be billed after the tournament.
“Guess the Birdies” Contest
To add excitement and encourage participation, donors can participate in the “Guess the Birdies” contest. Participants simply guess how many birdies will be made Wednesday – Sunday of tournament week. The individual with the correct guess wins the grand prize, a brand new vehicle. Ties are determined through a tiebreaker event. And if no one guesses correctly, the computer will randomly select the grand prize winner.
2013 Winner: Rob Mitchell
Supported: San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind through Birdies for Charity
2013 Grand Prize: Ford Fiesta donated by Ford
|Examples of what individual pledges would total|
|Year||# of Birdies||1 Cent||5 Cents||50 Cents|
- $500 Incentive – Every other week during the fundraising period, $500 will be awarded to a participating organization. Raise the most money for the two weeks (with the minimum of 5 pledge forms) and win. Submit the pledge forms to the VTO staff by mail, in person, or online. Please refer to the Timeline page for important deadlines.
- Bonus Bucks Incentive - If an organization is one of the top 52 in fundraising, you will be represented by an amateur team playing in the Oak Farms Charity Dairy Pro-Am on your behalf. They will be competing to win your organization a share of the $20,000 bonus pool. All top 52 organizations automatically receive $200.
- Personal Best Incentive – It’s based on an organization’s percentage increase in fundraising from one year to the next. Charities are encouraged to beat their “personal best” and be awarded a portion of the $25,000 bonus pool through a formula that considers a 25% growth from the prior year and a fundraising minimum threshold of $500.
- End of Year Incentive - A designated incentive pool of $100,000 will be distributed at the end of the year based on performance and reaching and/or exceeding the minimum fund raising threshold of $1,000.
- 100% Collection Incentive – If your organization has a 100% collection rate concluding the first billing cycle, your organization will receive your check in June. All other organizations will receive their check for the entire amount collected in July after the second billing cycle is complete. All incentive money will be distributed in August. Please refer to the Timeline page to identify the important dates to remember.